PATIENTS’/GUARDIAN/ LEGAL GUARDIAN’S RESPONSIBILITIES
The patient, as represented by the parents or legal guardians, shall fulfill all the responsibilities listed below:
- The parent or legal guardian shall ensure that he or she knows and understands what a patient’s rights are and understands what a patient’s rights are and shall exercise those rights RESPONSIBLY and REASONABLY.
- The parent or legal guardian shall provide accurate and complete information which the health professional requires about patient’s health and his/her ability to pay for health services being sought.
- The parent or legal guardian shall ensure that he/she fully understands all procedures, investigations and treatment before declining to accept it for the patient. The parent or legal guardian shall insist upon explanations that are adequate and consult with all relevant and competent persons before reaching a decision.
- The parent or legal guardian shall accept all consequences of his/her own informed decisions for the patient.
- The parent or legal guardian follows the prescribed and agreed treatment plan and conscientiously comply with all instructions for the benefit of the patient.
- To inform attending physician of the desire to seek second opinion or to consult other physician.
- The parent or legal guardian shall show consideration for the rights of other patients and healthcare providers, by following all hospital rules concerning ethical conduct and respect for other’ privacy.
- Every individual has the responsibility to use medical resources wisely to prevent high cost of care in the institution.
- The parent or legal guardian shall ensure that home medications are given to the patient as prescribed, follow-up and recommended appointments are kept after discharge.
- Not to ask healthcare providers to issue incorrect information, receipts or certificates.
- To pay all hospitals bills and professional fees.